Cholesterol is an essential fatty substance made by the liver and is necessary for certain metabolic functions. Cholesterol itself is not harmful but when our bodies make too much cholesterol or too much is absorbed from the foods that we eat, it leads to the formation of plaque that accumulates in and blocks the arteries, as a result of which less blood and oxygen can get to the heart leading to a heart attack.
Types of Cholesterol:
LDL Cholesterol is also known as bad cholesterol, due to its bad effect on the heart.
HDL Cholesterol is also named as good cholesterol since it is good for the heart.
Causes of High Blood Cholesterol:
- High cholesterol is often found to run in families.
- Altered Oestrogen levels may increase LDL Cholesterol levels in women during Pregnancy and Post-menopausal.
- Diet – Food rich in saturated fats like meat, oil, etc. will raise LDL cholesterol levels.
- Smoking, alcohol and sedentary lifestyle can also raise cholesterol levels.
- Being overweight may be the cause but all fat people will not have high cholesterol in blood, as obesity may be part of their constitution. Likewise, even a lean person can have high cholesterol level in blood.
- Certain diseases like Diabetes, Hypothyroidism, Kidney failure, etc. are also known to raise Cholesterol levels.
High blood cholesterol is known as a silent killer as it does not manifest any symptoms, so many people are unaware that their cholesterol level is too high.
Diet and lifestyle measures to control cholesterol level:
- Exercise regularly and reduce weight.
- Avoid Smoking and Alcohol.
- The first step in reducing your cholesterol is to maintain a “healthy balanced diet”. Avoid saturated fats and high cholesterol foods like meat, cakes, pastries, cookies, nuts, butter, ghee, sugary and fried foods.
- Eat plenty of vegetables, fruits, cereals, pulses and grains.
- Using garlic in food is considered as traditional medicine for controlling cholesterol.
How can Homeopathy help?
High blood cholesterol is supposed to be a constitutional disease, so treatment also should be constitutional. Homeopathic remedies are highly individualized to the patient. Homeopathic remedies are safe and without any side-effects; unlike other systems of medicine, which are toxic in nature during continuous usage. People on multiple medications can safely take Homeopathic remedies.
For more information, please contact.
Leave a reply